Travel Information


The minimum legal 'drinking' age is 18. When going to bars and nightclubs, you should carry identification to prove you are at least 18 years old. You may not be let in otherwise. No one may buy liquor from a bar or liquor store (bottle shop) unless they are at least 18 years. Buying liquor for a 'minor' is illegal.


Western Australia (but mostly the major towns) is home to most major banks that offer a wide range of services including currency exchange. Electronic banking machines operate 24 hours a day at selected locations.

Banking hours: (in most major towns)
9.30am till 4.00pm Monday to Thursday
9.30am till 5.00pm Friday
9.00am till 1.00pm Saturday (Selected banks only)

Traveller's cheques and credit cards are welcomed at most establishments. Foreign currencies can be exchanged at various Bureau de Change outlets around major cities and airports. Suitable identification may be required for financial transactions.

Car Rental

Rental cars are freely available on the Gold Coast from Budget, Avis, Hertz, Thrifty, Europcar and several smaller operators. Vehicles are generally no more than eight months old, with automatic transmission and air-conditioning. Renters have to be 21 or older and hold a current driver's licence. An international license is not necessary. Travel Online can certainly help you with your rental car requirements, visit our Campervans and Car Rental websites for details.


The Australian dollar is divided into 100 cents. One and two cent coins are no longer in circulation, but many items in shops and supermarkets are priced in odd amounts, such as $1.97 or $9.99. The law dictates that the TOTAL bill is rounded up or down to the nearest 5 cents. So $19.97 becomes $19.95, $19.98 becomes $20.00. Coin denominations are 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c $1 and $2. Notes are $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100, are colour coded and made from a plastic compound that will survive a wash or a swim.


The information available on this site by Travel Online is provided as a guide only. Whilst every attempt has been made to provide up to date and accurate information, Travel Online accepts no responsibility for misrepresentations or inaccuracies or individual interpretation of member products and/or services. Travel Online disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages and costs you might incur as a result of the information being inaccurate or incomplete in any way, and for any reason.

Drinking Water

Our cities and towns have excellent water supplies and in most cases tap water is fresh and safe to drink. Water sourced directly from rivers and lakes should be boiled, chemically treated or filtered before drinking to avoid stomach upsets.

Driving Information and Distances

Australians drive on the left, which can be disconcerting for visitors used to driving on the right side of the road. Roads are generally good and major routes well signposted. Speed limits and distances are expressed in kilometres and vary substantially from 50 kph in residential and heavy traffic areas to 110 kph on freeways. Drink driving is a serious offence and heavily policed. The legal limit of .05% is quite low - roughly equivalent to two small glasses of wine in the first hour and one an hour thereafter for men, less for women. For more information on driving distances around Australia please click here - driving distances.


Electricity is supplied throughout Australia at 230/240 volts (50 hertz), although most hotels and motels provide 110 volt AC sockets (rated at 20 watts) for electric razors only. For all other equipment, an adaptor/converter is necessary. Please note that power outlets only accept flat three or two pin plugs, depending whether an earth connection is fitted.

Getting There

By Air - Perth Airport is the international and regional gateway to Western Australia. Strategically located as one of Australia's closest airports to South East Asia, Europe and Africa, Perth Airport is Australia's fourth largest airport in terms of passenger traffic. Located only 12 km from the heart of Perth, the airport is part of a 2,105 hectare site, which has the capacity to expand to meet projected commercial aviation demand well into the 21st century. Broome and Broome International Airport are established as the regional hub of Australia's Northwest and the Gateway to the Kimberley. Serving business, personal and tourist travellers, BIA has around 300,000 passengers through its gates each year, making it the largest regional airport in WA.

By Rail - The Indian Pacific is one of the world's longest and greatest train journeys. But most of your cruising will be across the vast continent of Australia. From the spectacular Blue Mountains to the treeless plains of The Nullarbor, where the train travels the world's longest straight stretch of railway track (478 kilometres). The journey from Sydney to Perth covers 4352kms and in either direction you'll have three nights aboard the great train.

4WD - Although a 2WD vehicle will get you to the majority of sites and attractions in the region, to explore some of the special locations in remote areas, a 4WD is absolutely essential. Good travel advice for those using 4WD vehicles is make the trip fun but keep it safe, make sure you plan ahead for your journey and always advise somebody of your travel schedule.

Medical Services

Perth has medical services and major hospitals capable of administering advanced and specialised medical care. The region also has ambulance, fire and police services. Most large rural towns have madical care facilities. However there are many remote areas of Western Australia that have little or no health services so traveller's insurance is highly recommended.

Phone Services

Local calls from public payphones are untimed and cost a standard rate, while international and long distance calls are charged according to the time spent on the phone. Mobile phone operators use GSM and CDMA networks; mobile phones are available for rent. Internet cafes are widely available. The south west of the state has total phone coverage while regional areas have limited moblie phone services.

Stingers and Dangerous Creatures

Box jellyfish, bluebottles and irukandji are sometimes found off the coast between October and April. Avoid these creatures as they can cause any number of mild and/or extreme symptoms.

What to Bring

Remember to limit the effects of the sun with sunscreen and hats. Pack loose comfortable clothing, walking shoes, swim wear and sunglasses. All venues accept a good standard of dress and you may care to pack a light jacket for evening wear in winter. Don't forget your camera/video camera.