Following the Heritage Highway approximately 2 hours north of Hobart, the pleasant drive through historic villages and towns delivers you to Launceston, gateway to the Apple Isle. With much of the city's colonial heritage still intact, Launceston is an interesting city and provides the perfect base for exploring the Great Lakes region, national parks and beaches of the east coast. Where the city meets the river valley, Launceston is the ideal blend of scenery, history, adventure, creativity, gourmet delights and entertainment.
• The Design Centre of Tasmania, Wood Design Collection and Inveresk Railyards cultural precinct offer finely crafted local furniture.
• See one of the best collections of colonial art in Australia at the Queen Victoria Museum or the amazing star-studded displays of the southern night sky at the Planetarium.
• Step back in time at Penny Royal World complete with reproduction 19th century gunpowder mill and firing cannon.
• View one of the best collections of historical and classic cars in the country at the National Automobile Museum.
• Cataract Gorge is home to peacocks, lovely gardens, walking trails, a suspension bridge and the world's longest single span chairlift.
• See the sights in luxury with a Tamar River Cruise aboard the Tamar Odyssey.
• Sample the Tamar Valley's finest wineries or the Australian Beer Award's world's best beer winner James Boag Premium.
• Explore the boardwalk wetlands of Tamar Island and see birds in their natural habitat.
• Visit Low Head's nesting fairy penguins nest and Australian fur seals, Australia's oldest Pilot Station and the Maritime Museum.
• Discover the old Waverley Wollen Mills which date all the way back to 1874, making them the oldest in Australia.
• Learn to fly-fish for trout in the Launceston Lakes.
• Find out about Beaconsfield's mining history at what was once the state's largest gold mine, the Grubb Shaft Gold and Heritage Museum, now re-opened as a working mine.
• The quaint and curious Swiss village of Grindelwald is worth a visit.
• Notley Gorge is a sanctuary for wildlife.
• Pick your own fruit at the Hillwood Strawberry Farm.
• Marvel at Beauty Point Seahorse Australia, the world's only seahorse farm of its kind.
Check out our huge range of accommodation options in Launceston.